San Francisco, CA; Washington, DC; or Remote
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Revenue Analyst/Accountant will be responsible for donor financial reporting, budgeting and analysis. They will support grant writers, major gift officers and other stakeholders who require information for external stakeholders and internal restricted funds management.
Donor Budgeting & Reporting (35%):
• Produce grant and other donor budgets, reports and analysis
• Run interim funding reports; analyze variances and flag discrepancies
• Work with departments to ensure compliance with grant restrictions and fulfillment of deliverables
• Liaison with development department on financial materials for external audiences
Net Asset Management (25%):
• Ensure accurate coding of cases and matters to reportable topics.
• Review restricted gift attributes for accuracy and relevance.
• Support VP of Finance in tracking restricted funds received/expensed on a monthly basis.
• Maintain comprehensive restricted funds schedule in accordance with internal and audit requirements.
• Report on gift balances.
• Develop Internal funding level analysis and projections.
• Create monthly net asset schedules.
Internal Accounting (25%):
• Reconcile revenue with BBEC activity on a monthly basis.
• Maintain receivable records and documentation.
• Serve as liaison with Development Operations on booking and reconciliation in accordance with GAAP.
• Prepare monthly reconciliations for bank accounts as assigned.
• Assist the Controller and Senior Staff Accountant with the monthly close and the annual close.
Audit & 1099 Reporting Support (15%):
• Prepare relevant worksheets for form the 990 tax filing, and for the year-end financial statement audit.
• Support the accounting department during audit as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business (with significant coursework in Accounting and Finance)
• At least 2 years of professional related experience in budgeting or accounting positions, preferably in a not-for-profit environment, OR at least two years of professional experience in Assurance at a public accounting firm.
• C.P.A., C.M.A., or C.F.A. strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated knowledge of key accounting and budget principles, and an understanding of non-profit revenue recognition standards.
• Comprehensive experience with Excel is essential (i.e. pivot tables, vlookups, and manipulating data from multiple sources to identify trends and build reports).
• Experienced computer user, including proficiency with Financial systems (i.e. SAGE MIP), Blackbaud, Excel, and Word.
• Excellent communication skills are required, as is the ability to work cooperatively with different personalities and financial aptitudes across the organization.
• Superior analytical and organizational skills are required, as are strong attention to detail, good recordkeeping, responsible time management, and the ability to juggle many projects and deadlines at once.
• Familiarity with FAS 116 is a plus.
• A strong ability to work and think independently and maintain a questioning mind.
• Ability to keep confidential information.
• Non-profit experience and a passion for the Earthjustice mission are preferred.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Application Procedure: Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest in Earthjustice.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or